Did you know that garage door related accidents account for thousands of injuries every year?
The garage door is the largest and heaviest moving object in many homes. Proper installation, operation, and maintenance testing are vital to garage door safety. Take the following precautions to help keep you and your family safe:
- Never stand or walk under a moving door.
- Make sure all remotes and the push-button wall control are placed out of your children’s reach.
- Always keep the door in view until it is fully opened or closed.
- Keep fingers and hands away from the door sections when the door is opening or closing.
Complete the following routine maintenance checks once a month:
- Garage Door Opener Reversal Test
- Garage Door Opener Force Setting Test
- Consider Additional Safety Devices such as a Photo Eye or an Edge Sensor
- Complete a Visual Inspection of springs, cables, rollers, pulleys, and other hardware
- Door Balance Test
Detailed information on how to perform these tests can be found in the International Door Association’s Safety and Maintenance Guide. Make sure to also review your garage door Owner’s Manual for the manufacturer’s recommendations for each maintenance check. Always consult a professional if you think something is wrong.
Want to test your knowledge? Take the GarageDoorCare.com Safety Quiz, courtesy of the International Door Association!